May 7, 2008

New Movie in Cinemas

MONGOL is a movie I've just seen yesterday. I'm a historian, so I was very interested in the story that this movie depicts. Needless to say I was disappointed in one way, and surprised in another. The story isn't historically accurate. I've found out that even Mongolian government denies it's authenticity and describes the movie as a hoax of great proportions.
But when you close your eyes on that fact, the movie is quite good. The landscape is beautiful, and the life of the population is very well depicted. Battle scenes correspond with the era of 12/13 century and the actors that are unknown to the wide audience are very believeble. The story envolves around the childhood and young years of Temudjin, a Mongol that will become a great conquerer known as Genghis Khan.
All in all, a movie worthy of watching and spending some time in the cinema or making popcorn for watching it from the sofa.
My rating: 3.8/5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a historian, but I've heard from professors who are, that movie IS historically accurate. They even recommend this movie for its authenticity... I don't know what to think, except I liked Mongol. Peace.